15 Most Controversial Research Paper Topics For College Students
A research paper should attract the attention of any reader. It should give an indication of an independent thinker other than a scholar who copies the ideas of other people. This is the idea behind controversial topics. After all, why write a paper on what everyone agrees with? Common topics are not exciting to read. They even do not attract the attention of a reader.
Here are research paper topics that will out rightly generate controversy.
- It is time to legalize prostitution
- The benefits of marijuana are a testimony that it is time to legalize it
- With increase in mass shootings, it is time guns remained in the hands of law enforcement officers
- Access to sex information for teenagers calls for reduction of age of accessing birth control without parental consent
- The right to abortion should remain with the woman only if the man involved is unknown
- Assisted suicide should be declared a human right
- Hate speech violates freedom of speech
- Death penalty should be imposed for heinous crimes
- Going to college is officially overrated
- Criminal records should be wiped out once a person serves his term in jail
- Online dating eliminates bias by allowing people to love a stranger
- Curfews should be legal for minors
- Television ads are lowering the esteem of viewers
- The portion for warnings or side effects should be increased on adverts
- Parents should monitor internet use by adults
The choice of a topic goes beyond a title for your paper or an idea that seems controversial. There are considerations that you need to make to simplify your work.
- Chose an area you are interested in. It is easier to work long hours on a topic that is closer to your heart. Passion also generates insight that boosts the quality of work you produce.
- Find a unique area of study- controversy means that it is on the lips and minds of many people. There is a possibility that the topic has been studied over and over. Such topics do not find traction among readers. A unique topic is captivating.
- Differentiate between opinion and facts. Controversial topics elicit a lot of debate. Read widely to identify facts from heresy or opinions. A research paper must be based on facts. These facts must be substantiated. It will strengthen your paper and make it more convincing to read.